THE AWARD: The Colorado Springs Branch of the American Association of University Women’s (AAUW) mission is to advance equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research. Multiple scholarships of at least $2,000 will be awarded for the 2023-2024 academic year. Questions about the process should be directed to the Local Scholarship Chair at ScholarshipsAAUWcos@gmail.com.
APPLICATION: Scholarship Application 2023-2024
APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS: The applicant must be an undergraduate student with at least 36 earned college credits at the time of applying. Applicants have attended either PPSC or UCCS, must be planning to attend fall 2023 semester classes at PPSC or UCCS, and must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- All pages of the completed AAUW scholarship application, including the applicant’s signature on the Use of Application Materials statement.
- Official college transcripts sent directly by the college to the email address MoSigler24@gmail.com
- All pages of the applicant’s 2023-2024 Student Aid Report available on FAFSA website a couple business days after FAFSA is submitted. DACA students should submit an official government document showing your current DACA status instead of the FAFSA.
- A personal statement (one to two typed double-spaced pages) following the instructions on the application form.
- Two letters of recommendation sent directly from the recommenders to the email address provided on the application. See application for specific instructions.
DEADLINE: Applicants are to submit all application materials by May 20, 2023.
SUBMISSION DIRECTIONS: Applicants are to submit materials electronically, as .PDF documents, to the Scholarship Committee Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of recommendation must be emailed directly by the recommender and college transcripts must be sent by the college electronically.
ZOOM INTERVIEW: The top candidates for these scholarships will be personally interviewed on Saturday June 10, 2023.
NOTIFICATION: The scholarship winners will be notified personally by Jun 15, and the name of the winners will be posted on-line at: AAUW Colorado Springs Branch.
Our major fundraiser has been our Branch Authors Day, where three to five Colorado authors speak to our members and the community at a brunch. Book sales of the authors’ books (with the help of Mary Cilletti at Hooked on Books) and a silent auction supplement the money raised by ticket sales. Donations are made by members and friends throughout the year.
2022: six awards of $2,500 totaling* $15,000
2021: eight awards totaling* $17,500
2020: eight awards totaling* $12,700
2019: six $1200 awards totaling $7,200
2018: six $1200 awards totaling $7,200
2017: six $1000 awards totaling $6,000
2016: five $1000 awards totaling $5,000
*Short-term memorial scholarships included in this amount
TO DONATE: Your tax-deductible donations to our local Scholarships Fund will go far in changing the lives of women and girls. Use the convenient and secure online feature (DONATE Button – at top of sidebar to your right ) to make a donation using your credit or debit card. Or, you can send us a check made out to AAUW-Colorado Springs with “Local Scholarship” on the memo line may be mailed to the AAUW Treasurer, 5540 Canvasback Ct., Colorado Springs, CO 80918.
AAUW Colorado Springs Branch (CO) is a 501(c)(3) charity – Tax ID# 84-3789955 – effective 12/20/2019
Donations are tax deductible to the full extent provided by law. AAUW does not provide tax or legal advice. Please consult your tax adviser to determine the exact treatment of any donation you are considering.