THE AWARD: The Colorado Springs Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) mission is to advance equity for women and girls through research, education, and advocacy. Six scholarships in the amount of $1500 each will be awarded for the 2020-2021 academic year as announced in the 2020-2021 application. In addition, one or more memorial scholarships designated for elementary education majors will be awarded. Questions about the scholarship and award process should be directed to the Local Scholarship Chair, Maureen Sigler, at email@example.com .
Click on this link for the 2020-2021 application form: Scholarship-Application-2020-21 (1)
It will also be posted on UCCS and PPCC scholarship sites.
APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS: The applicant must be an undergraduate woman with at least 36 earned college credits. Applilcants must be currently attending either PPCC or UCCS, must be planning to attend 2020 fall semester classes at PPCC or UCCS, and must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- All pages of the completed AAUW scholarship application, including the applicant’s signature on the Use of Application Materials statement.
- Official grade transcripts sent directly by the college to the email address or postal mail address provided on the application.
- The applicant’s 2020-2021 Student Aid Report available on FAFSA website. All pages must be submitted.
- A personal statement following the instructions on the application form.
- A letter of recommendation sent directly from the recommender to the email address or postal address provided on the application.
EVALUATION CRITERIA: Scholarship applications will be judged by the Local Scholarships Committee on the equally weighted criteria of academic excellence, financial need, personal statement, and letters of recommendation.
DEADLINE: All application materials must be RECEIVED by March 30, 2020.
SUBMISSION DIRECTIONS: Applicants are encouraged to submit materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “AAUW Scholarship Application,” however, a postal mail address for the AAUW Local Scholarship Committee will be provided on the application form. Letters of recommendation must be sent by the recommender and grade transcripts must be sent by the college either electronically or by postal mail.
NOTIFICATION: The scholarship winners will be notified personally by May 1, 2020 and the names of the winners will be posted online on this website. The winners are always invited to be our guests at our May scholarship luncheon, where they are introduced to AAUW Branch members, and will receive their awards. Before fall registration, the scholarship money is sent by our Branch treasurer to the colleges of the winners, where it is applied towards the scholarship winners’ 2020-2021 Cost of Attendance.
TO DONATE: A check made out to AAUW-Colorado Springs with “Local Scholarship” on the memo line may be mailed to the AAUW Treasurer, 5540 Canvasback Ct., Colorado
Springs, CO 80918. Please note that donations to the Local Scholarship Fund are NOT tax deductible.
2019: six $1200 awards
2018: six $1200 awards
2017: six $1000 awards
2016: five $1000 awards
2015: five $1000 awards
Our major fundraiser has been our Branch Authors Day, where 3-5 Colorado authors speak to our members and the community at a luncheon or brunch. Book sales of the authors’ books (with the help of Mary Cilletti at Hooked on Books) and a silent auction supplement the money raised by ticket sales. A portion of proceeds from grocery store gift card programs is dedicated to local scholarships. Also, donations are made by members and friends throughout the year.
Thanks to the generosity and support of our AAUW members and the community we have been able to make six $1200 awards for the 2019-20 school year:
Cristina Mendoza, Business, UCCCS
Hannah Marie Powers, Health Sciences Medical Laboratory Science, UCCS
Morgan Pracht, Communications, UCCS
Renee Roetger, Inclusive Early Childhood Education, UCCS
Alexandra Ruiz, Criminal Justice, UCCS
Sarah Teixiera, Nursing, PPCC
Click the link below to see the Woodmen Edition article covering our 2019 Branch Scholarship Luncheon and the award winners!
THANKS FROM PREVIOUS WINNERS: Our scholarship winners have always expressed their great gratitude for our small contribution toward their education and their promising futures. These comments from our 2016 winners represent all the others.
- “Any amount of scholarship is a huge help to me, so thank you so much for choosing me as one of your five top candidates. I am truly grateful. This year’s scholarship application has impacted me so much that I have decided when I have all my loans paid off, I will be starting my own scholarship fund to help women like me to get their degrees in the future”
- “Thank you for honoring me with this generous scholarship. Each of you I was fortunate to meet from AAUW showered me with kindness and encouragement. Now I have something to strive for on my journey toward sustainability. I want to help other women achieve their full potential and reach their academic dreams the way you all have supported me. Thank you for easing my academic financial burden.”
- “My children are a challenge when I also have school and work; however, if it weren’t for them, I would not have the drive that i have to complete my degree and give them a life they deserve. The AAUW scholarship is helping me overcome the many challenges I face as a non-traditional student. Thank you so much for all your generosity and thank you for believing in me and helping me overcome barriers”