THE AWARD: The Colorado Springs Branch of the American Association of University Women’s (AAUW) mission is to advance equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research. Multiple scholarships in the amount of $2,000 will be awarded for the 2021-2022 academic year. In addition, $2,500 memorial scholarships will be awarded with preference given to elementary education and psychology/counseling majors.
APPLICATION: Scholarship-Application-2021-22 v3
APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS: The applicant must be an undergraduate woman with at least 36 earned college credits. Applicants must have attended either PPCC or UCCS, must be planning to attend fall 2021 semester classes at PPCC or UCCS, and must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- All pages of the completed AAUW scholarship application, including the applicant’s signature on the Use of Application Materials statement.
- Official grade transcripts sent directly by the college to the email address MoSigler24@gmail.com.
- All pages of the applicant’s 2021-2022 Student Aid Report available on FAFSA website a couple business days after FAFSA is submitted. We especially need to see your official EFC. DACA students should submit an official government letter documenting your current DACA status instead of the FAFSA.
- A personal statement (one to two typed double-spaced pages) following the instructions on the application form.
- A letter of recommendation sent directly from the recommender to the email address or postal address provided on the application.
DEADLINE: Applicants submitting all application materials by March 31, 2021 will be given first priority, however, due to the chaos of the pandemic, we may be flexible with that deadline.
SUBMISSION DIRECTIONS: Applicants are to submit materials electronically, as .PDF documents, to the Scholarship Committee Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of recommendation must be sent directly by the recommender and grade transcripts must be sent by the college electronically.
INTERVIEW: The top candidates for these scholarships will be personally interviewed on Saturday, May 1, 2021.
NOTIFICATION: The scholarship winners will be notified personally by May 3, and the name of the winners will be posted on-line at www.coloradosprings-co.aauw.net.
TO DONATE: Your tax-deductible donations to our local Scholarships Fund will go far in changing the lives of women and girls. Use the convenient and secure online feature (DONATE Button – at top of sidebar to your right ) to make a donation using your credit or debit card. Or, you can send us a check made out to AAUW-Colorado Springs with “Local Scholarship” on the memo line may be mailed to the AAUW Treasurer, 5540 Canvasback Ct., Colorado Springs, CO 80918.
AAUW Colorado Springs Branch (CO) is a 501(c)(3) charity – Tax ID# 84-3789955 – effective 12/20/2019
Donations are tax deductible to the full extent provided by law. AAUW does not provide tax or legal advice. Please consult your tax adviser to determine the exact treatment of any donation you are considering.
2020: eight awards totalling $12,700
2019: six $1200 awards
2018: six $1200 awards
2017: six $1000 awards
2016: five $1000 awards
2015: five $1000 awards
Our major fundraiser has been our Branch Authors Day, where 3-5 Colorado authors speak to our members and the community at a luncheon or brunch. Book sales of the authors’ books (with the help of Mary Cilletti at Hooked on Books) and a silent auction supplement the money raised by ticket sales. Donations are made by members and friends throughout the year.